Sunday, May 27, 2012

Sunday walk

Today, Sunday, I walked several miles, let's say four, to the Romer Platz, so named because they discovered ruins from the Romans when they started to rebuild after the war.  The Town Hall is in the plaza and the buildings are built in the old style, however they are all built since 1945 because Frankfurt was pretty much leveled with the bombing. From there I walked to the Eschenheimer Tor or tower, one of the original towers in the wall built around old Frankfurt.  When Napoleon came here, he tore down the walls, but left several towers standing.  My guess is that most or some of it had to be rebuilt as well.  On the way back, I came upon Peruvian whistle musicians playing in a square so I sat and listened to them for awhile.  The last time I heard that kind of music live, it was in Colorado.  Probably not the very same guys, but maybe.  They get around.  It was nice to sit and rest before crossing the bridge with the locks and coming home.  It's lovely here, mild and oh yes, it is still light at 10PM, they have a long twilight.

No comments:

Post a Comment