Thursday, May 31, 2012

On the way to Paris

Today is Thursday. Steffi has tomorrow and Monday off.  We leave this evening for Trier, Germany which we'll tour tomorrow.  Trier has the most extensive Roman ruins outside of Italy.  They think the site has been inhabited since around 2000 BC.  Knowing that I love ruins, I'm excited to go and see what they have.  Then on Sat. we go on a bus tour to Paris, 5 hours there, spend the day and early evening, and return another 5 hours.  A very long day, but we know the bus tour driver and it is an easy way to see Paris.  I will be away from the computer until Tuesday, maybe Monday night.

I walked to the train station yesterday, one I've never walked to before, and missed it by five or more blocks one way (so ten or more blocks altogether), had to ask directions several times, finally found it.  Next time I can just get there much easier.  And I went to see Moonlight Kingdom in English at my neighborhood theater.  It has Bruce Willis, Edward Norton, and was entered at Cannes 2012.  Very interesting, odd and altogether wonderful movie.  If you get the chance to see it, I'd recommend it.  Then you'll know how really odd I am.  You'll be saying:  who recommeded this movie, and why again?  At least it isn't full of blood and violence and typical American movie-making stuff.

The t.v. news here is much different than in the US.  It actually covers almost all of Europe and America gets their small share, with very little of interest to be reported.  I wonder how we can have all the news we do in the US and almost none of it is international news.  I even saw an interview with Assange yesterday with a goup of Occupy'ers from around the world. Even the news from China, France, the Mid-East and England is pretty well balanced.

I'm walking four to six miles a day.  We went to water fitness a couple of days ago, and will be going two times a week, plus going to the gym at Steffi's work, and walking all over town.  I even had a map and still got lost.  It was actually fun.  Everyone is very helpful and nice.  Next report after Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment