Saturday, June 16, 2012

Finding the book, Codex, that I've been looking for since I got to Germany

You may recall in an early blog, my luck at finding The Magician King by Lev Grossman at the Frankfurt main train station, and ordering later, at a small local bookstore, his other two books, The Magicians and The Codex, his first book.  The Magicians came in the next day.  More than a month goes by, I go to the bookstore every few days, The Codex is still on order.  We leave for Ireland.  On one of the first days in Galway, we are walking along the street where all the musicians play, and there are a lot of bars and restaurants, and shops.  Some high end shops, a book store, some cheap trinket shops for souveniers.  We go into the book store, I ask if they have The Codex, no, but they can order it, 10 days or so to get it in.  I say no thanks, we're traveling.  We go in and out of the trinket stores full of baseball caps, key chains, post cards, plastic jewelry, bins of tumbled stones, I'm sure you know the sort of stores they are.  And they're tiny.  But we finally go into a larger one that has big tables piled high with books.  They are the publisher's slush books.  Of course we always look at the books.  I'm across the store from Steffi, and she calls me.  Mom, what's the name of the book you're looking for?  She fills in the answer, The Codex.  I say yes, still busy with postcards.  She says, well, I think this is it.  I go over to her.  There on the table are probably ten or so copies of The Codex, normally 5.99 Euros, marked down to 3.99 Euros.  I almost cry.  There's my book.  I have an urge to buy them all, but refrain and just take one.  Another 'who would have ever thought'.  I read the book while we were in Ireland.  Very good, I loved it.  Of course, when I got back to Frankfurt and went into the local bookstore, The Codex had come in while I was gone, and I felt obligated to buy it.  12.Euros.  So now I have two copies.  Life is good.  I am happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment